Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Year in Brews

Hard to believe, but it's been over a year since Andrew and I started brewing. Things have gone much better than I had originally imagined, and I'm enjoying myself even more than I would have thought possible.

In celebration, here's a rundown of the brews we've made and how they turned out:

  • Porter (P1) -- Our first attempt, 1 1/2 gallons short and a little weird, but drinkable. Ah, sweet success!
  • Stout (S1) -- Tasty, and especially excellent after the "passable" port
  • Trappist Ale (T1) -- Kit was a Christmas gift. Very nice, with the bubble gum/banana fruitness expected of the variety.
  • Nut Brown (B1) -- First real failure... just turned out with a weird flavor, overly foamy.
  • Porter (P2) -- Fantastic redux on the porter. One of my favorite batches.
  • Irish Red (R1) -- Good red color, nice flavor, a solid entry.
  • West Coast Stout (S2) -- Great stout. When I found one more six-pack of it recently in the utility room, I actually cheered.
  • Habanero Amber (H1) -- Solid Amber ale + habanero kick. Not kill-your-taste-buds-off hot, but you definitely need another drink by the end of it.
  • Belgian Wit (W1) -- Our lightest beer yet. Expected more of a spiciness from the coriander and orange zest, but drinkable.
  • IPA (I1) -- Enter the hops! Not quite as light as many IPA's in color, but good flavor.
  • Stout (S3) -- Another good stout. Intended for gift-giving (really, I will give it away soon once it's rested enough!)
  • Porter (P3) -- Ditto the S3. Good porter effort, but not long for my home unfortunately.
  • Porter (PB) --Arg, busted thermometer screwed the batch!
  • Porter (PB') -- Still in the carboys, but it's the "baby porter" for after my wife can drink again.
  • Stout (SB/S4) -- Stout base for a bourbon spiked stout. Still in the primary, but hopes are high!
All in all, far more success on that list than I expected getting into the brewing game. Plenty of other challenges ahead, but then the rewards make it all worthwhile.

Keep brewing out there folks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, I'm still eagerly waiting to enjoy that S2 you bestowed upon me...can't wait! It will make Labor and Delivery thing SO worth it...

Oh yeah, and the kid...he'll make it worth the effort, too, but he won't be so much fun to drink! :)

Thank you!!

Jason R. Clark said...

Glad to have donated to so worthy a celebration! Amber and I are both majorly bummed we won't be able to be up that direction close to time...

Of course, there are good reasons for that :)